BRING YOUR OWN TECHNOLOGY (BYOT) PROGRAM
The District recognizes the importance of technology and the educational benefits available through the use of technology. The use of portable electronic devices in the classroom can add educational value when such devices deliver content and extend, enhance or reinforce the student learning process. Classroom teachers determine the appropriateness of in-class use of electronic devices, consistent with district instructional objectives, and with approval of the building principal.
All personal electronic devices must be used in a responsible, and legal manner. Students using their own devices are subject to the District Acceptable Use Policy and guidelines, Board approved BYOT guidelines, all other Board policies and procedures, including but not limited to the student code of conduct. Failure to adhere to these guidelines may result in the revocation of the privilege to use personal electronic devices in the classroom and/or disciplinary action as appropriate.
The following personal electronic devices are approved:
1. Laptop computers
2. Tablet PCs
Students at the middle school and high school levels are permitted to use approved personal electronic devices for educational purposes under the direction of a classroom teacher.
BYOT activities are implemented at the discretion of classroom teachers and building administrators. When electronic devices are used to enhance learning in the classroom, students without a personal device will be provided access to an appropriate district-owned digital device.
Violations of any board policies, regulations, or school rules involving a student’s personal electronic device may result in the loss of use of the device in school and/or disciplinary action. The school reserves the right to inspect a student’s personal electronic device if there is reason to believe that the student has violated board policies, regulations, school rules or has engaged in other misconduct while using their personal electronic device. Any search will be conducted in compliance with board policies.
The use of an approved personal electronic device is a privilege, and students may be denied access at any time. Students wishing to participate in the Bring your Own Technology program must comply with the following guidelines and procedures. Students:
1. must abide by the District Acceptable Use Policy and Regulations, and are subject to all student code of conduct restrictions and disciplinary consequences relating to use or misuse of technology.
2. are responsible for ensuring the safety of their own personal devices. The District is not responsible for the loss or theft of a device, nor are they responsible for any damage done to the device while at school.
3. will use approved devices only for an educational purpose, and only when directed by a classroom teacher or administrator.
4. must keep devices turned off when not directed to use them.
5. may not use the camera feature to capture, record, or transmit audio, video or still photos of other students, faculty, or staff without explicit permission given by the subject of the photo or video.
6. are not to use the device in a manner that is disruptive to the educational environment.
7. exhibiting harassing, intimidating behavior or found bullying through the use of a personal electronic device are subject to discipline under the District Hazing and Bullying policy and procedures.
8. are responsible for servicing their personal electronic devices. The District will not service, repair or maintain any non-district owned technology brought to, and used at school by students.